Thursday, March 11, 2004

Interview with "Unknown Soldier" - Speaking Out To Bring Troops Home: "I went to one funeral where I cried the whole time. I don’t normally cry for anything. It takes a lot to make me cry. I was crying because I knew this guy. I talked to him all the time. We used to joke together. He was a Marine. To see him lifeless and know that I would never see him again, that is hard to handle. There’s no need for us to be dying like this."

"Do you feel that the Iraqi insurgency can be defeated militarily? It would take a long time, because we are breeding more of them every day, because of the way we are treating the people. How are they being treated? We kick in their door, take the children and the women and put them in another place. Then we take the men out of the home. And do what with them? We interrogate the men about participation in the insurrection against the United States. What’s that like? I don’t do that."

"Over 100,000 soldiers were offered $10,000 to re-enlist. Hardly anyone took it. I do not want to go back. I will do it if those are my orders, but I do not want to go back. It’s not a winning situation for us. You’re going to lose more people this summer than you did last year, I guarantee it... What do you expect to happen with the large numbers of soldiers coming back from Iraq? Mass exit from the military. Mass!"

No comments: